Ahhh, the excitement of new construction Charlotte NC! The only thing that beats “new car smell” is “new home smell,” and new construction Charlotte NC is HOT HOT HOT! It’s wonderful to drive through Charlotte and its surrounding areas and see all of the new construction of homes popping up. All signs that the real estate recover is well underway in Charlotte NC!
New Construction Charlotte NC – What’s the deal?
There are currently almost 2,000 new construction Charlotte NC area homes for sale, ranging in price from under $100,000 to over $3 million, with styles to suit every lifestyle. Whether you are looking at a completely custom-built home in the heart of Myers Park or a home in a brand new neighborhood in SW Charlotte or Fort Mill, SC, there’s something for everyone!
Scroll to the bottom to see current new construction Charlotte NC homes for sale
On my bucket list is “Build a home for my family, just once!” The whole idea just gets me so excited – from picking out the floor plan, to picking out every last detail, like countertops, cabinets, floor and light fixtures. I’ve never done it, but it IS on my bucket list. I love my current home, and don’t know if I’ll ever leave…but the allure of having everything BRAND NEW is very strong.
New construction isn’t for everyone. So from my experience working with a wide variety of home buyers, here are some pros and cons to consider regarding building new construction Charlotte NC:
Pros of new construction:
- It’s YOUR home and you are the FIRST owner! You get all NEW EVERYTHING! You don’t have to inherit weird wallpaper and paint colors. A fresh, new start!
- Your new construction Charlotte NC home will be UP to DATE! It will likely feature the most popular floor plans and finishes available to TODAY’s home buyers.
- Lots of awesome warranties – from structural, to HVAC, to appliances – it’s all covered (for a while at least). You should have worry-free living for at least 5 years and hopefully many more!
- Energy efficiency – today’s new construction homes Charlotte NC will likely have the most energy efficient systems and building materials available
- New technology – today’s new construction homes are technology-ready – from cable pre-wiring to “smart” systems, to charging stations – all designed to fit today’s lifestyles.
Cons of new construction:
- “Model home fantasy” – Remember, when you walk through those awesome model homes, every single thing that makes it flashy is usually an upgrade – that comes with a cost. It’s easy to get carried away and blow your budget trying to make your home look like the model home.
- Cookie-cutter homes – many new construction Charlotte NC neighborhoods are starting from the ground up. Homes can be very similar, leading to a “cookie cutter” feel that some buyers just don’t care for.
- Young landscaping – in many new subdivisions, the lots have been cleared so there are no mature trees. It will take a few years for the neighborhood to get a more established feel.
- New subdivisions are usually farther away from the city and are on smaller lots
- You won’t have much equity in your home until the last home is built in the development.
Buying New Construction Charlotte – The Process
Buying a new construction home in Charlotte is exciting, but the process can be a bit different from buying a traditional re-sale home. Here is the general process (remember, each builder’s process can be slightly different).
- Choose an experienced Realtor® to represent you as your Buyer Agent.
- Talk to a lender and discuss various mortgage options that will fit your budget
- Check out several builders/new developments. With your Realtor, choose a builder with a proven track record.
- Choose a good homesite and reserve it with a deposit
- Choose a floor plan that fits your family’s lifestyle. Make any structural changes that you need (add a room, bathroom, etc.)
- Write a contract on your home and secure it with a deposit.
- Complete your mortgage application. Many builders offer their own mortgage lender or a preferred lender. Many will offer closing cost assistance or other discounts if you use their preferred lender. Big caveat though….I prefer for my buyers to use my favorite mortgage lenders because I KNOW they can get the job done with the best terms. Ask me for a list of MY preferred mortgage lenders.
- Make your design center selections. This is the FUN part! But beware, it can cause your bottom line to increase significantly. Remember, your home must APPRAISE!
- Sit back and enjoy the construction process. This is the hard part…the WAITING!
- Schedule a home inspection at the pre-drywall point. Protect your interests by having your home inspected at this point.
- Close to closing time, schedule your new home orientation walk through with your building supervisor. This meeting will take several hours, and the supervisor will explain all the systems of your house and tell you what you need to know about your new home.
- Go to closing, sign all the closing documents, and MOVE IN! You are the proud owner of a BRAND NEW HOME!
New Construction Charlotte NC – The Builders
Here is a list of builders in the Charlotte region. This list is not a complete list, but represents a good cross-section of production builders, semi-custom builders, and customer builders.
- Arcadia Homes, Inc. – Luxury custom homes
- Arthur Gutenberg Homes – Luxury custom homes
- Bonterra Builders – Semi-custom homes
- Classica Homes – Luxury custom homes
- David Weekley Homes – Semi-custom homes and luxury custom homes
- DR Horton – Production builder
- Essex Homes – Semi-custom homes
- Evans Coghill – Custom homes
- Grandfather Homes – Custom homes
- James Custom Homes – Custom and semi-custom homes
- John Wieland Homes – Semi-custom luxury homes
- Lennar – Production homes
- Mattamy Homes – production builder
- Meritage Homes – Semi-custom homes
- New Old Custom Homes – Custom luxury homes
- Niblock Homes– Semi-custom production homes
- Orleans Homes – Semi-custom production homes
- Pulte Homes – Production and semi-custom homes
- Ryan Homes – Production homes
- Saussy Burbank – Semi-custom luxury homes
- Shea Homes – Semi-custom production homes
- Simonini Homes – Custom luxury homes
- Standard Pacific – Semi-custom homes
- Toll Brothers – Production luxury homes
- True Homes – Production homes
New Construction Homes for Sale – Real Estate Expert
If you are considering new construction Charlotte NC for your next purchase, I would love to talk to you about the process, the pros and cons, and help you identify the right builder and right community for your family. Buying a new home is a BIG DEAL, especially when you’re navigating the new construction process as well. As your partner in this journey, I will make sure that you understand what you’re getting into, and I will be your advocate with the builder.
Let’s meet at my office in the heart of Ballantyne. We can talk about what you are trying to accomplish in your next move, your time frame and your budget. My goal is to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible, and to help you get the house of your dreams. Ready to get started?Melissa Brown Broker/Realtor Helen Adams Realty 704-654-9700 Melissa@MelissaBrownHomes.com 15235-J John J Delaney DR Charlotte, NC 28277